Issued on May 5, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s most recent executive order allows Gyms to open on Monday May 18 with some restrictions. Our first class will be held at 5am that day.
The order places the following mandatory restrictions on exercise facilities:
- Facilities may operate at up to 25% max occupancy
- Locker rooms and shower facilities must remain closed, but restrooms may be open
Several additional recommendations were made. These recommendations are not mandatory, but are important. I’ve highlighted a few of the relevant recommendations below.
- Screening of individuals for symptoms
- Maintain social distancing of 6ft
- Extensive cleaning of equipment before and after each use
- Enhanced sanitation procedures for the facility
- Use of gloves that fully cover from the wrist to the fingers while exercising
- Use of face coverings when entering, exiting, or not exercising
Grind House is committed to re-opening our facility on Monday May 18 and getting back to the business of improving people’s lives through health, wellness, and community. The main gym space is large, approx. 10k sqft. Based on historical gym attendance, 25% of our max occupancy should not be an issue. Therefore, sessions will run as NORMAL (with some changes to times) starting Monday May 18 with a full slate of classes (except for MMA). We will diligently follow the majority of the recommendations made by the Gov’s office including, but not limited to, pre-screening of staff and enhanced sanitation procedures. However, we will NOT strictly enforce the recommendations to wear face coverings and/or fully fingered gloves.
You are an integral part of our plan to re-open. It is IMPERATIVE that you do your part to ensure re-opening the gym occurs in a seamless manner. We ask that you adhere to the following in order to continue training at the facility.
- Do NOT attend if you are showing any signs of illness, pre-screen yourself!
- Practice good hygiene before, during, and after attending the gym
- Clean every piece of equipment before and after use, and help us clean other items while you are inside the facility
- Whenever possible maintain social distancing
The COVID-19 pandemic is still a serious issue across the world. The threat is here to stay for the foreseeable future. It is highly likely that additional restrictions and/or guidelines will be released. Please be patient as we navigate uncharted waters and re-open the facility. If gym occupancy, class attendance, social distancing guidelines, session times, or other recommendations are unable to be followed up a standard that we deem safe or appropriate we will adjust our procedures accordingly.
Stay safe and healthy! We’ve got a LOT more information coming your way in the next several days. Stay tuned! We will see you on Monday May 18!
You are STRONGLY encouraged to read the full executive order at (https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-issues-executive-order-to-expand-openings-of-certain-businesses-and-activities)